How to transfer your LINE account if you still have your old phone
You can now scan a QR code on your previous device to easily transfer your account to your new phone. Read on to learn how.
Before you begin
Click here or scan the QR code to update LINE.
- * You'll be taken to either the App Store or Google Play depending on your device.
- * If you already have the latest version of LINE, there's no need to update now.
Make sure the version of LINE on your old device is at least 12.10 to use the QR code transfer feature.
- - If you don't have version 12.10 or newer, first update LINE to the latest version on your old device.
- - If you can't update LINE on your old device, see the "Check your OS version" section below.
- - If you still can't update your version of LINE, try this transfer method instead.
Time to check!
- Are you using the latest version of LINE?
How to check your version
Open the following screen on LINE
Home tab > Settings
Tap About LINE to check your version.
- * Version number in image is for reference only. Current latest version number will vary.
Make sure your OS version meets one of the following:
• iOS 14 or above
• Android 7 or above
How to check your iOS version
Settings > General > About
How to check your Android version
Settings > System > About phone
- * The actual screens and path may differ depending on your device and version of Android.
Support for LINE 11.5 and later will end on the following older versions of Android and iOS. Account creation and transfer won't be possible on these OS versions starting November 5, 2019.
• Older than iOS 10
• Older than Android 5
- * If you are using an older OS listed above, please update your OS from your device's settings.
- Unable to update your OS?
- * While you can continue to use your downloaded version of LINE, you won't be able to download LINE again if it's ever uninstalled from your device.
- * If you can download the latest version of LINE on another device, you can then transfer your LINE account to that new device.
If your new device uses the same OS as your old device (Android to Android, or iOS to iOS), backing up your chats lets you restore your entire chat history on your new device.
If you haven't backed up your chats or are switching to another OS, you can only restore the last 14 days of messages.
Time to check!
- Are you using the most recent backup data?
Open the following screen on LINE
Settings > Chats > Chat history backup
Settings > Chats > Back up and restore chat history
- * Android users should select the Google account that will be used for the backup.
- * iOS users should check whether their iCloud has enough available storage space before performing the backup.
If transferring between iPhones
If you're transferring your account between iPhones, you can also use iOS's Quick Start transfer method.
Transferring your account with Quick Start
1. Have both your old device and new device ready.
2. Set up your new device with Quick Start.
3. Open LINE.
4. Tap "Verify".
5. Enter your phone number.
6. Enter the verification code sent in the text message.
7. Enter your password.
- Please contact Apple support if you have questions about transferring your LINE account or chat history with Quick Start.
- If the Quick Start transfer doesn't work, you can restore your past chat history by making a backup of it in the LINE app beforehand. Please follow the steps below to restore your chats.
Setting up the transfer
- Content displayed on your device may differ from the descriptions on this page.
Please follow the instructions for account transfer displayed on your device.
1. Open LINE on your new device
Open LINE and select "Log in."
2. Tap "Log in with QR code"
Review the instructions and get ready to scan the QR code.
3. Display the QR code on your old device
Open LINE on your old device and go to Settings > "Easy transfer QR code" to display your QR code.
- IMPORTANT: If you haven't backed up your chat history at this point, do so now.
You won't be able to back up your chats after this step.
4. Scan the QR code with your new device
Use your new device to scan the QR code shown on your old device.
5. Confirm your identity on your old device
After you scan your code, your old device will ask you to confirm that you scanned the QR code. Tap Continue. After this step, unlock your old device to confirm your identity.
6. Restore your chat history
When transferring between devices of the same OS* and have finished backing up your chats
*For example, from Android to Android or from iOS to iOS
Tap "Restore chat history" to restore your backed up chat history.
When transferring between devices with different OS*, or if you haven't backed up your chats
*For example, between iOS and Android or vice versa
The last 14 days of your chat history will be restored.
If you changed your phone number as well as your device, you'll need to manually update your phone number on the LINE settings screen after transferring your account.
Learn more about changing your phone number
Good job! This completes the LINE account transfer process. Make sure to keep your registration info up-to-date and continue using LINE safely and enjoyably!
Make sure to transfer your LINE account the right way!