I can't use my phone anymore! Transferring your account to a new device
You can restore the last 14 days of your chat history even if you lost access to your previous device, as long as you created a backup PIN in advance. You'll want to create a backup PIN if you don't have any previous backups to restore. You should also create a backup PIN if you're transferring your account from an iPhone to an Android device, or vice versa.
When transferring your account between devices of the same type (Android or iOS), you can back up and restore all the chats on your device—not just those from the last 14 days, as long as you back up your chats ahead of time.
You will need your password in order to transfer your LINE account. If you did not set a password or have forgotten it, you will be unable to transfer your LINE account.
Before you begin
Click here or scan the QR code to update LINE.
- * You'll be taken to either the App Store or Google Play depending on your device.
- * If you already have the latest version of LINE, there's no need to update now.
Make sure the version of LINE on your device is at least 12.13 to use the backup PIN feature.
- Please update to the latest version of LINE if you're currently using a version of LINE older than 12.13.
- If you're unable to update your LINE, refer to the instructions below on updating your OS.
- If you're still not able to update your LINE, please try an alternate account transfer method.
Time to check!
- Are you using the latest version of LINE?
How to check your version
Open the following screen on LINE
Home tab > Settings
Tap About LINE to check your version.
- * Version number in image is for reference only. Current latest version number will vary.
Make sure your OS version meets one of the following:
• iOS 14 or above
• Android 7 or above
How to check your iOS version
Settings > General > About
How to check your Android version
Settings > System > About phone
- * The actual screens and path may differ depending on your device and version of Android.
Support for LINE 11.5 and later will end on the following older versions of Android and iOS. Account creation and transfer won't be possible on these OS versions starting November 5, 2019.
• Older than iOS 10
• Older than Android 5
- * If you are using an older OS listed above, please update your OS from your device's settings.
- Unable to update your OS?
* While you can continue to use your downloaded version of LINE, you won't be able to download LINE again if it's ever uninstalled from your device.
- * If you can download the latest version of LINE on another device, you can then transfer your LINE account to that new device.
How to transfer your account
- Content displayed on your device may differ from the descriptions on this page.
Please follow the instructions for account transfer displayed on your device.
1. Open LINE on your new device
Open LINE and select "Log in."
2. Log in with a method other than "Log in with QR code"
Now we'll explain how to log in with your phone number. Select "Log in with phone number."
3.Enter your phone number and then enter the code you receive via text message
Enter the phone number of your current smartphone (or the one you will be using) and you will receive a text message with a verification number. The account transfer process will begin once you enter the verification number.
4.Check that the information displayed is correct
Check your information based on the phone number you entered. If your information is correct, select Yes to proceed to the next step.
5.Enter your password
Enter your previously registered LINE password and log in to LINE on your new device.
Forgot your password?
A password reset email will be sent to your registered email address. Use the URL within the email to reset your password.
- Note: You will be unable to reset your password if you have not registered an email address that you can access.
6. Restore your chat history
When transferring between devices of the same OS* and have finished backing up your chats
*For example, from iPhone to iPhone, or from Android to Android
Tap "Restore chat history" to restore your backed up chat history. Next, enter the backup PIN that you set previously. If your PIN is correct, you'll restore the last 14 days of your chat history.
If you've backed up your chat history in advance, your backed up chat history and your chats from the last 14 days will be restored.
The last 14 days of chats will be restored even if you haven't backed up your chat history.
When transferring between devices with different OS*, or if you haven't backed up your chats
*For example, from iPhone to Android, or from Android to iPhone
Enter the backup PIN that you set previously. If your PIN is correct, you'll restore the last 14 days of your chat history.
Good job! This completes the LINE account transfer process. Make sure to keep your registration info up-to-date and continue using LINE safely and enjoyably!
Make sure to transfer your LINE account the right way!